Nigerian Customer Purchasing Trends – All You Need To Know To Increase Your Sales!
By: Rabia Tanveer
Online shopping is one of he many past times of Nigerian people. They love to shop online and they are not afraid to go one step forward and shop from international websites too.
- 60% of the Nigerian consumers like to shop online.
- 70% of them love to shop from international consumers.
Where Do They Shop?
The Nigerian consumers like to shop from the websites belonging to the following countries:
- UK – 29% Nigerians
- USA – 48% Nigerians
- China – 36% Nigerians
What Do They Shop?
- Clothes, Apparel, Accessories and Footwear – 50%
- Entertainment and Educational Items – 55%
- Consumers Electrics – 45%
How Do They Find You?
- 61% of the Nigerian customers go to the websites that their family and friends recommend.
- 69% of them go to the websites that they have used in the past.
- 54% of them go to the websites that they know of.
Cross-Boarder E-Commerce Revitalized
- 75% of Nigerian consumers like to shop online with their smartphones.
- 36% of them like to pay for their cross-border purchases with their smartphones.
What Urges Them To Shop Online Internationally?
- 60% of them do it because of the fast delivery.
- 62% of them do it because of the free shipping.
- 58% of them do it because they have proof of the product authenticity.
What Turns Them Off?
- 54% don’t shop online internationally because they are concerned they may never get the product.
- 62% don’t because of the shipping costs.
- 53% don’t buy from international websites because they are concerned they may not get help when they need it.
Why Do They Abandon Shopping Carts?
- 34% abandoned their carts because of long delivery times.
- 55% abandoned their carts because of high shipping charges.
- 42% abandon carts because their preferred payment option is not listed.
Why Do They Return Your Products?
- 18% of Nigerians return their internationally purchased items.
- 7% always intended to return the product.
- 11% returned because it was not as described.
- 3% no longer wanted the product.
Freight Forwarding – A Major Issue
- 38% use a shipping address
- 26% of them use a freight company.
- 44% chose the freight company because it was cheaper.
- 50% did it because the website did not ship to their country.
- 31% of them wanted to combine purchases from multiple websites/companies.
- 83% of Nigerians prefer to make purchases in their own currency when shopping online.
Since Nigerian consumer prefer to shop online in their own language, you can easily direct them to your website by using Online Business Translation Services. You can have your website in their language without sending thousands of dollars by using retail translation services. It is affordable, easy and very effective, Globalize your e-commerce business today to see the difference.