Facts You Should Know To Boost Your Online Business In The UK!
By: Rabia Tanveer
Everyone loves to shop online and the people of the United Kingdom are no different. Perhaps, they are one of those shoppers who frequently use Internet to get their next shopping fix.
- 78% of UK residents have shopped online.
- 36% of them prefer to shop from the international e-commerce websites.
Where Do They Shop?
When the UK consumers are shopping internationally, they like to choose international platforms belonging to the following countries:
- 15% choose Chinese e-retailers.
- 21% choose USA e-retailers.
- 7% prefer German e-retailers.
What Do They Shop?
The UK consumers prefer to buy the following items from international e-commerce websites:
- Electronics – 26%
- Downloadable and Digital Educational Material – 26%
- Digital and Downloadable Entertainment Material – 26%
- Accessories, Clothing, Footwear and Apparel – 45%
How Do They Find You?
- 47% of the UK customers prefer those websites from where they have purchased before.
- 26% of them got the websites they already know of.
- 37% of them find these websites when they are searching the Internet for a particular item or brand.
Cross-Border E-Commerce Revitalized
- 45% of UK consumers have shopped online via international websites from heir smart phones.
- 15% of them have paid for these items via their smart phones.
What Urges Them To Shop Online Internationally?
These are the reasons that UK consumers like to buy from international e-commerce websites.
- 38% of the UK consumers shop internationally because of the safe payment method.
- 42% of them shop internationally for free shipping.
- 34% of the shop internationally because of free return shipping.
What Turns Them Off?
What makes the UK consumer stop shopping from international E-retailers?
- 48% don’t shop from international websites because of the high shipping rates.
- 41% are not sure if they would receive their items.
- 41% don’t shop internationally because of the return shipment costs.
- 41% of them are concerned about the counterfeit goods.
Why Do They Abandon Shopping Carts?
- 46% abandon their carts because of the high shipment charges.
- 26% abandon carts because of the ineffective security of the website.
- 27% abandon their carts because of unclear custom, tax and duty charges.
Why Do They Return Your Products?
- 16% UK shoppers returned their purchases in the last month.
- 5% of them no longer need that product.
- 9% of the time, the product is not as it was described.
- 3% of them returned the product because they never intended to keep it.
Freight Forwarding – A Major Issue
- 25% of the UK online shoppers use the website’s freight forwarding method.
- 9% of them use a freight forwarding company.
- 36% of them feel that the freight forwarding company was cheaper.
- 28% used the freight company because the product was a gift.
- 29% of them used the freight company because they company did not ship to the UK.
- 72% of the UK international consumers prefer to shop in their own currency.
Lastly, many of the UK consumers don’t shop online because of the language barriers. They may like the products on your website, if they cannot find the information they need on your website, chances are they will not buy from you, ever. You can control this issue and even eliminate it by using Retail Translation Services. This is perhaps the most cost effective way to globalize your website and get more sales.