Learn Your USA Market – Why Is It Good For Your E-Commerce Business!
By: Rabia Tanveer
The convenience and the sheer bliss of shopping online and having your goodies delivered to your doorstep is something else. They are not afraid to shop from foreign countries and test their products.
- 77% of the American consumers prefer to shop online.
- 22% of them have shopped from international e-commerce websites in the past 12 months.
Where Do They Shop?
While shopping online, the USA consumers trust the certain country’s e-commerce website. These countries are:
- Canada – 6% USA consumers
- China – 11% USA consumer
- United Kingdom – 5% USA consumer
What Do They Shop?
Maybe because they like the quality or because they love the price, for whatever reason, the average USA consumer buys the following from international e-commerce websites:
- Entertainment products (CDs, Books, etc.) – 29% USA consumer traffic
- Apparel and Clothing – 47% USA consumer traffic
- Accessories (jewelry, watches, etc.) - 47% USA consumer traffic
- Hobbies and Toys – 28% USA consumer traffic
How Do They Find You?
- 53% of the USA consumers go to the international websites they have used in the past.
- 31% of them are taken to foreign websites when they are searching for their favorite products on any search engine.
- 31% of the consumers go to those international e-retail websites that they know of or know the addresses.
Cross-Border E-Commerce Revitalized
- 47% of the USA consumers shopped internationally via their cell phones.
- 19% of them have made payments via their cell phones.
What Urges Them To Shop Online Internationally?
These are the items that USA consumers like to buy from international e-commerce websites.
- 42% of the online consumers in USA shop internationally because of the free shipping.
- 33% of the consumers shop from those international websites that offer them a safe way to make payments.
- And 32% of them prefer to shop internationally because of the free return shipping facility.
What Turns Them Off?
What makes the USA consumer stop shopping from international E-retailers?
- 47% of the USA consumers are concerned about identity thefts and product frauds.
- 41% of them are concerned that they will never get the product they purchased.
- 49% of the USA consumers don’t shop internationally because of the high shipping costs.
- 41% of them are not comfortable with giving their financial information or any of their personal information for that matter.
- 41% shy away from international shopping because of the problematic return procedure and policies.
Why Do They Abandon Shopping Carts?
- 35% of them abandoned their carts because the shipping process and time was too long.
- 35% of them did it because the shipping and posting charges was too high.
- 26% of them abandoned their carts because of the security of the website.
Why Do They Return Your Products?
- Almost 18% of the USA consumers have returned their international purchases.
- 9% of them do that because the product they receive is not what was described to them online.
- 7% of them no longer had the need or desire to use that product (because of the long shipping times).
- 8% of them returned the products because they always intended to return some of them.
Freight Forwarding – A Major Issue
- 23% of the consumers prefer to use a forwarding address.
- 4% of them have used a freight company.
- 34% of the USA consumers use a freight forwarding company because they want to combine their purchases from multiple websites in one shipping.
- 45% of them do it because the shipping offered by the international website was too expensive.
- 29% of them used a freight company because they wanted to reduce custom and tax fees.
- 70% actually don’t shop online because they can’t make payments in their own currency.
Lastly, many of the USA consumers don’t shop online because of the language barriers. They may like the products on your website, if they cannot find the information they need on your website, chances are they will not buy from you, ever. You can control this issue and even eliminate it by using Retail Translation Services. This is perhaps the most cost effective way to globalize your website and get more sales.